A crowded beach, the burning sun, bright bathing suits and sweaty brows and legs. Tired limbs sprawling lazily across a sea of towels.
The performance that stunned audiences at the 2019 Venice Biennale will make its UK debut this year at the Albany co-presented with LIFT and Serpentine. The main house of the Albany will be transformed into a crowded beach, complete with 10 tons of sand and 13 vocalists taking on the role of beachgoers enjoying the sunshine.
As part of the production we are looking for local families with children between the age of 3 and 12 to volunteer, spend some time on the beach and join any number of performances between 23 June to 10 July 2022. We are eager to fit this around your availability.
Taking part – what will it be like?
Sun & Sea is a live performance that takes place over four hours. It features live opera singing from individuals and choirs too. In total there will be 25 performers (including volunteers) on the beach at any one time, and an audience of up to 150 people watching.
All volunteers will wear swimwear that they feel comfortable with on the beach. You will lie on the beach, and might occasionally go off stage to get sprinkled with water (as if you’d been in the sea) or to collect an ice cream.
Important to know:
- No previous performance experience is needed.
- There are a limited number of volunteer places so not all applicants will be able to take part.
- The creative team for the production will be looking to form a group that is representative of the mixed communities who live across London.
- Performances take place 6-10pm on weekdays and 2-6pm on weekends & volunteers will be needed for the entire duration of the performance (+ some time to set up before)
- You will need to be free to take part for some of the below dates:
Thurs 23, Fri 24, Sat 25, Sun 26, Wed 29, Thurs 30 June
Fri 1 July, Sat 2, Sun 3, Weds 6, Thurs 7, Fri 8, Sat 9, Sun 10 July
- You may be asked to provide your own costume in a certain colour palette. If you do not have anything in that colour palette we will be able to provide something for you.
- Any volunteers under the age of 18 will need to be accompanied by an adult
If you are interested in being involved, please email your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org and your availability across the above dates, we will get back to you as soon as we can. Title your email FAMILY CALL OUT